2022 Husqvarna Norden 901 First Look (14 Highlights: Production Model)
Two years after the concept bike was revealed to the public, the Husqvarna Norden 901 2022 is here. It turns out to be an off-road-ready adventure touring machine. Although it shares parts with various variants of the KTM 890 Adventure, let’s start from scratch with the new Norden.
- Power comes from an 889cm DOHC parallel twin. Decidedly too square, the 2022 Husqvarna Norden 901 resists the temptation to be a high-speed. Peak torque of 74 lb-ft comes to a manageable 6,500 rpm, with the 100 horsepower peak registering at 8,000 rpm. Reliability is ensured by forged camshafts, SLC coated finger lifters, steel intake and exhaust valves, hydraulic cam chain tensioner, two oil pumps, plain bearing crankshaft, forged pistons with three bridged-box segments (each served by two oil jets), and a knock sensor in the cylinder head. The gap between service intervals exceeds 9,000 miles.
- Three driving modes are standard, with an optional Explorer mode. Using ride-by-wire technology and an IMU, Street and Offroad modes optimize power and electronic aids to reflect usage. Street mode has a sharper throttle response and more aggressive traction control compared to Offroad mode. Offroad mode dampens power, while still allowing the rider to roll and steer with the rear. In addition, the cornering detection function on the traction control is a feature reserved for the street. Rain mode decreases power output, slows throttle response and provides maximum traction control. Explorer Mode gives the rider the flexibility to change various mode settings to their liking – this is a software upgrade. Cruise control is standard.
- Traction control for deceleration is handled in several ways on the 2022 Husqvarna Norden 901. ABS is switchable between standard Offroad mode and Offroad mode only on the front wheels. In Street ABS mode, the Bosch 9.1 MP ABS system knows you are leaning over and reacts accordingly. To downshift there’s a slip clutch, which is augmented by corner-sensitive traction control. If you downshift too quickly for the slip clutch to correct, the electronic traction control smoothly reduces power output to prevent skidding or hopping. Traction control also kicks in on the street if the front wheel leaves the ground, slowing acceleration. For those who don’t like traction control, it can be cut and the slip clutch will act on its own.
- In addition to a slipper function, the clutch also has assistance to lighten traction.
- Clutch usage will be minimized with a standard quickshifter. The six-speed transmission has a short lever stroke for gearshifting, making gear changes faster. The top three speeds are glass bead blasted for added durability.
- Juan brakes work with Bosch ABS. The calipers may sport the Husqvarna logo, but they are J. Juan units with the dual front calipers mounted radially. In case you missed it, Brembo bought out Barcelona-based J. Juan in April for 70 million euros (roughly $ 85 million).
- The lattice frame of the 2022 Husqvarna Norden 901 uses chromoly tubing for increased strength, reduced weight and optimized flex. The frame puts the rider forward on the frame for more weight on the front wheel; the frame is kept short (front to back) so that a longer swingarm improving traction can be deployed. A non-adjustable steering damper improves stability. The frame is black powder coated to maintain its appearance longer in off-road conditions.
- Aggressive large-block Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR tires on a 21/18 inch wheel set demonstrate that the Norden is all-terrain oriented. Husqvarna wasn’t cheap here, or worried about tire longevity – these Pirellis are good rubber if you’re going to be riding off-road. If you plan to stay on the roadway of your Norden, put on a street-suitable tire before leaving the dealership. Someone will be happy to buy your Rally STRs.
- WP takes care of the suspension. Apex units are used at both ends of the motorcycle. The cantilever damper is not assisted by a linkage and does not provide progressive damping. Spring preload is adjustable via a three-pin knob, and only rebound damping is adjustable. Bring a Torx screwdriver for the hexalobular head. The fork is an open cartridge design with compression and rebound dampers in separate fork tubes. Aluminum triple clamps hold the WP Apex fork in place. Although the damping is fully adjustable on the fork, the spring preload is fixed. Suspension wheel travel is 8.7 inches at the front and 8.5 inches at the rear.
- The ergonomics can be adjusted to suit the rider. There are six positions for mounting the tapered aluminum handlebars, with an adjustment range of almost 1.2 inches. The ribbed seat can be installed in one of two positions â 6 or 34.4 inches above the floor. The aluminum footpegs have removable rubber inserts – leave them to dampen vibrations on the street and remove them for better grip off-road boots. In addition, the rubber inserts slightly increase the position of the footrest, another way to adjust the rider’s triangle. A two-position rear brake lever cap is a nice touch: one is suitable for city boots, while the other offers room for all-terrain boots. If you plan to ride in cold weather, a heated seat is optional.
- The full-length ADV fairing of the Husqvarna Norden 901 2022 houses several features. Right away you will notice the standard LED lighting and fog lights. There is a 12 volt outlet to power a GPS device. The five-inch TFT dashboard connects to your smartphone via Bluetooth and the Husqvarna Motorcycles Ride app, but only if you get the optional connectivity unit, which adds turn-by-turn navigation and interfaces for phone calls and the music. Although the fairing appears bulky, a Husqvarna insider describes the body as “thin” and offers “easy movement and exceptional ergonomics for all sizes of riders.” The fairing has spoilers which improve stability at high speeds.
- Don’t hesitate to explore at least 200 miles between visits to a gas station. The tank even holds five gallons and Husqvarna claims a maximum range of 248 miles.
- Important accessories will be available for the Norden. Touratech suitcases and top cases lead the way. There is also an AkrapoviÄ titanium silencer (replaces the stainless steel unit), lowering children (lowers the seat height by almost an inch), soft luggage, heated grips and a higher windshield. .
- The 2022 Husqvarna Norden 901 has an MSRP of $ 13,999 and will be available in the United States in November. Competitors include the BMW F 850 ââGS Adventure ($ 14,399), Honda Africa Twin ($ 13,545), KTM 890 Adventure R ($ 14,199), Suzuki V-Strom 1050XT ($ 14,799) and the Triumph Tiger 900 Rally ($ 15,400). Look for our review of the Norden in the coming weeks.
Location photograph by Rudi Schedl
2022 Husqvarna Norden 901 Specifications
- Type: Parallel Twin
- Displacement: 889cc
- Bore x stroke: 90.7 x 68.8 mm
- Maximum power: 100 horsepower at 8000 rpm
- Maximum torque: 74 ft-lbs at 6500 rpm
- Compression ratio: 13.5: 1
- Valvetrain: DOHC, 8 valves
- Refueling: Dell’Orto with 46mm throttle body
- Lubrication: Semi-dry sump pressure lubrication with 2 oil pumps
- Transmission: 6 speeds with quickshifter
- Clutch: assisted clutch and PASC traction control
- Final drive: 520 X-ring chain
- Frame: chromoly tubular steel with stressed motor and chromoly trellis subframe
Handlebar: Tapered aluminum
- Front suspension; Travel: Fully adjustable WP Apex 43mm open cartridge inverted fork; 8.7 inch
- Rear suspension; travel: adjustable WP Apex damper without linkage, spring preload and rebound damping; 8.5 inch
- Wheels: metal spoked with tubeless aluminum rims
- Front wheel: 2.50 x 21
- Rear wheel: 4.50 x 18
- Tires: Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR
- Front tire: 90/90 x 21
- Rear tire: 150/70 x 18
- Brakes, front: 320mm rotors with J.Juan 4-piston radial-mount calipers
- Rear brake: 260mm disc with J.Juan 2-piston floating caliper
- ABS: Bosch 9.1 MP Street-aware in turns and offroad
DIMENSIONS and CAPACITIES
- Wheelbase: 59.5 inches
- Rake: 25.8 degrees
- Seat height: 33.6 or 34.4 inches
- Ground clearance: 9.9 inches
- Fuel capacity: 5.0 gallons
- Curb weight: 480 pounds
2022 Husqvarna Norden 901 Price: $ 13,999 MSRP
2022 Husqvarna Norden 901 Photo gallery