2022 Ducati DesertX First Look (13 Offroad Adventure Quick Facts)
After a few years of teasing, here it is: the dirtiest Ducati motorcycle since the 450 R / T of 1971. While by no means a pure all-terrain motorcycle, the Ducati DesertX 2022 is heading towards the offroad / rally end of the adventure bike spectrum. Let’s take a closer look at Ducati’s shot at the front of the KTM 890 Adventure R.
- The Testastretta 11 Â° engine of the Ducati DesertX 2022 is based on the engine used in the Multistrada V2 and Monster. The 937cc V-twin with desmodromic actuated valves develops 110 horsepower at 9250 rpm and 68 lb-ft of torque at 6500 rpm. Clutch and transmission modifications improved gear changes and saved nearly four pounds. A quickshifter is standard for the six-speed transmission. The 1st and 2nd gears are considerably lower than those of the Multistrada V2, the 3rd to 5th gears being progressively lower. Sixth gear remains an overdrive suitable for touring.
- Off-road good faith is ensured by a 21/18 inch wheel set, long-travel suspension, and a curb weight of less than 500 pounds. âIt should be noted that the new DesertX features tire sizes unprecedented for a Ducati – 21 inches up front and 18 inches rear,â claims Ducati, but this wheel pairing was used on the R / T. Either way, these are the rim sizes off-road bikers want to see. The aggressive Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR tubeless tires are mounted on the metal spoke rims. The fully adjustable KYB suspension provides approximately nine inches of wheel travel at both ends. The fork is a 46mm inverted unit, while the piggyback reservoir damper is cantilevered rather than linkage assisted. The DesertX tips the scales at 492 pounds with the 5.5 gallon fuel tank topped up. An optional 2.1 gallon auxiliary fuel tank mounted near the rear fender greatly expands the DesertX’s range.
- The seat height is 34.4 inches and the ergonomics are user-friendly for standing. Ducati says it kept the midsection thin to make it easier for the rider to grip the bike when off-roading and bring the rider’s boots to the ground. The initially flexible suspension keeps the rider closer to the ground, reducing ground clearance by 9.8 inches. An accessory lower seat is available, but this will impact the relative position of the handles and footrests.
- Numerous driver assistance modes and options allow riders to tailor the DesertX to their preferences and conditions. There are six driving modes, plus four power modes. For the first time, a Ducati motorcycle has a Rally mode, which goes with Enduro, Sport, Touring, Urban and Wet modes. The four power modes â Full, High, Medium, and Low â adjust throttle response and power output. Adjustable driving aids supported by the IMU include traction control, wheel control, electronic engine brake adjustment and cornering sensitive ABS. The DesertX’s ABS also has three levels with the cornering function, plus Enduro and Rally, which undoes the cornering utility.
- Enduro mode is intended to help less experienced off-road riders, while Rally mode is there for the more aggressive riders. Enduro mode reduces power and speeds up electronic aids, while Rally mode unleashes full power and minimizes electronics intrusion.
- Brembo manages the braking tasks. A pair of radial-mount Brembo M50 monobloc calipers grip the 320mm disc. The front brake master cylinder is a direct axial pump design and the lever is adjustable. The 265mm rear disc receives a Brembo two-piston floating caliper.
- The dashboard is inspired by the rally. The five-inch TFT display is mounted vertically for easy reading by standing cyclists. There are two display modes: Standard and Rally. Rally mode is designed for ease of navigation by mimicking the tripmaster display used by rally motorcycles. Unfortunately, GPS is not part of the system. The optional Ducati multimedia system pairs with your smartphone, providing detailed navigation. If you like listening to music or talking on the phone during a rally raid, the DMS will take care of that.
- The passenger seat is optimized for comfort, while the rider seat is more performance oriented.
- An optional larger windshield is available for riders more focused on touring than off-roading.
- The optional cases allow almost 120 liters of storage.
- Ducati Centro Stile took care of the appearance of the DesertX. Terms such as “dakarian style” and “lines of enduro bikes from the 80s” are used. No matter how they got there, the designers came up with a remarkable motorcycle.
- There will be plenty of clothing to match the DesertX, both casual and technical. You can see the off-road equipment in the action photos.
- We will have to wait until June to buy a Ducati DesertX 2022. The MSRP is $ 16,795, almost $ 2,600 more than last year’s KTM 890 Adventure R. You can have the DesertX in any color you want, as long as it is Star White Silk.
Ducati 2022 DesertX Specifications
- Type: Testastretta 11 Â° L-twin
- Displacement: 937cc
- Bore x stroke: 94 x 67.5 mm
- Compression ratio: 13.3: 1
- Maximum power: 110 horsepower at 9,250 rpm
- Maximum torque: 68 ft / lb @ 6500 rpm
- Fuel supply: Bosch EFI with two 53mm throttle bodies
- Transmission: 6 speed
- Clutch: hydraulically actuated wet multi-disc with assist and slip functions
- Final drive: Chain
- Frame: tubular steel trellis
- Front suspension; travel: fully adjustable KYB 46mm inverted fork; 9.1 inch
- Rear suspension; travel: fully adjustable KYB piggyback tank damper; 8.7 inch
- Wheels: tubeless aluminum alloy with metal spokes
- Front wheel: 21 x 2.15
- Rear wheel: 18 x 4.5
- Tires: Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR
- Front tire: 90/90 x 21
- Rear tire: 150/70 x 18
- Front brake: 320mm rotors with Brembo M50 monobloc 4-piston radial-mount calipers and axial pump master cylinder
- Rear brake: 265mm disc with Brembo 2-piston floating caliper
- ABS: Bosch cornering ABS
DIMENSIONS and CAPACITIES
- Wheelbase: 63.3 inches
- Rake: 27.6 degrees
- Trail: 4.8 inches
- Seat height: 34.4 inches
- Ground clearance: 9.8 inches
- Fuel capacity: 5.5 gallons
- Curb weight: 492 pounds
- Color: Star White Silk
Ducati DesertX 2022 Price: $ 16,795 MSRP
Ducati DesertX 2022 photo gallery